Looking for the best offline dictionary for your android phone, which can easily helps you to look for a meaning of a particular word or words without turning on your internet, you’re at the right place. I’ve the best dictionary app which you can use on your android phone or tablet without using a wifi or internet connection.
There are reasons which makes us to look for dictionary, more especially when playing a word game on your android phone, you should also have an offline dictionary installed on your phone. This help you to easily find the words or look for the meaning of the word(s).
I’ve compiled a list of the best offline dictionary apps for android, no internet required at all except you want to hear how to pronounce a particular word. In this case, you may need to download the voice language and later use it offline as well.
The Best Offline Dictionary For Android
This list is based on my own research, but you my dear reader can also help us and add more to our list of best offline dictionary for android phone and tablet. Let’s head to the number one on the list, which is Merriam Webster.
1. Merriam Webster
My number one dictionary and available for android, ios, windows and even the hard copy. The mobile version comprises of many languages and different dialects, for example it has that of the UK and US version. You will say or write colour in the United Kingdom, but in the United States, it is color.
So Merriam Webster dictionary has all that, and other languages are French, German, Spanish and many more. No internet connection is required to view the definitions or thesaurus (although you do need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search).
Merriam Webster offline dictionary has the following features;
- New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
- Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
- Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
- Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
- Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
- Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
- Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
- Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
- For tablets: Scrolling Index – lets you browse the entire dictionary
2. Offline English Dictionary
Latest dictionary on the google play store, and the dictionary really makes sense i must say, in as much the name isn’t of a brand name. The offline dictionary, which has over 600,000 words, is designed to give you the fastest way to learn English vocabulary.
It works entirely offline without any further file to download!. Install the dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
Offline English Dictionary has the following features;
- Swift and comprehensive English-English dictionary
- Words and expressions
- Includes more than 200,000 idioms and phrases
- Audio pronunciations: Never mispronounce another word (human voice and computer voice for offline use)
- English spelling help: Word correction for mistyped words
- Example sentences: Understand how a word is used in the context
- Offline access: You will have complete access to the dictionary whether or not you have access to the internet.
- Clear, accurate definitions
3. Oxford Dictionary Of English
The third on the list of best offline dictionary app for android is the oxford dictionary of english. The dictionary app which has over 350,000 words, is one of best complete and accurate dictionary of English we have.
The Oxford Dictionary of English is the mobile app based on the original title by Oxford University Press and widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study of English with more than 150 years of research behind it.
Regarded as one of the flagship products in MobiSystems’ large catalog of dictionaries the app features advanced search and language tools designed by a developer vastly experienced in the creation of dictionaries and learning tools.
With tens of thousands of regionally specific entries The Oxford Dictionary of English reflects the unique richness and global adaptability of English. The Oxford dictionary of english has up to 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations.
4. Consise Oxford English Dictionary
This may not be as popular as the Merriam Webster or the other Oxford English dictionary, but the Consise dictionary is one of the best i’ve seen so far on android phone and tablet and you as well will love it.
The dictionary app is noted for its clear, concise definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. Available in both British & American voice versions, this dictionary consists of over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including words with controversial pronunciation or with variant pronunciations.
The search tools helps you to effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. It is designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for.
The consise oxford dictionary has the following features;
- Over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, covering technical and scientific vocabulary as well as English from around the world
- Hundreds of new words and phrases, based on the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus
- Hundreds of usage notes on tricky vocabulary and grammar usage
- 50,000 audio pronunciations
- Translate words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
These are so far the best offline dictionary app for android phone and tablet i’ve used and they are really giving me what i needed in a mobile dictionary. But please and please, you can assist us by providing the name of the dictionary you have used on your android smartphone through the comment box thanks.